Skip to main content

Gardening Daily Diary - 8.9.20

 

8 September 2020

Great day for gardening today. Spring is definitely here with the warmer days and blossom starting to bud and bloom on the fruit trees. Morning started off with a frost and sun was shining brightly by 7:45am with occasional cloud in the afternoon.

Raked all the sticks and straw off the paths and threw the last of the pile of weeds into the compost. Dug a small garden for Courgettes and a new garden, possibly for herbs. Its currently growing 2 Rhubarb plants but my daughter can have them as I already have about 15 of them in my big garden.


Before: Looking particularly messy if I do say so myself.


After: With a lot of elbow grease and some help from my chicken friends, this area was tidied up over the course of 2 days. Red Chicken is breaking up the small garden for my Courgettes/ Peppers.

I have taken to watering the garden at about 4pm when the day is nearing an end so it soaks into the ground overnight as opposed to watering in the morning and have it evaporate throughout the day. I'll make adjustments to watering as needed. For now I'm trying to get the grounds saturated enough so that when summer does hit at least the water is not going to either run straight off the garden or just sit on the top layer and not penetrate down into the roots.

Planted the last of the Silverbeet in the garden with the brassica's and tightened the netting up to keep the chickens off them. The ground is majorly lacking in any nutrients and has very little organic matter in the soil. I'll add compost or manure of some description to start building the soil back up again when I can locate something that's affordable.


Started filling pots with soil for Blackcurrent cuttings. Must do sooner rather than later and get them going.

Started writing this blog!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Jeans With Lace Inserts

  DIY Jeans with LACE INSERTS After sewing a pair of jeans that were too small for me with  denim square inserts  I decided to go through the pile of jeans I got for free to see if there was another pair I could tickle up with a bit of fancy decoration. And of course there was! My dear friend gave me a box full of bits n bobs and in amoungst it all were some net curtains with a pretty pattern and a scalloped edge. One side was embossed and the other side had a netting layer and was no where near as impressive.  This is how I made them without a measuring tape or any knowledge of what I'm even doing!!!  How to Make Lace Insert Jeans.... As Instructed From An Absolute Dummy! 1. Unpick the outside edges of the jeans. I unpicked the wrong side, had to sew it up and start again on the right side. 2. Cut net curtain to size. As I had no measuring tape I simply cut a full scallop size piece. From the 2 highest points of the blippy bit and straight up lol I'm so sorry I...

Sharpie Coffee Cups

  There's so many pins on  Pinterest  about the same thing that you could literally read through hundreds of them before you find one that actually works. And this little DIY project was no different! Thank goodness the cups were cheap from  The Warehouse  at $1 each. You could also get them from  Kmart . If you want to practice before you start drawing on your new cups I would recommend getting them from a thrift store or op shop for a quarter of the price and practicing on them first.  TIP #1: ALWAYS GO FOR A CUP THAT HAS AS LITTLE GLAZE ON IT AS POSSIBLE. No matter which pin I've read and experimented with, they have all said the same thing. It is  best to get cheap cups    (which is faaaantastic cos I'm all about being on a budget) as they don't have as much glaze on them like a more expensive cup would have. The glaze causes cracking and bubbling in the design!! Not handy!!! 😳 I wanted the cups to be  dishwasher proof ...

How To Make Your Fave Jeans Fit 20 Years Later

 Omg! I am horrified!!! While my body is aging my mind isn't. And I'm kinda like Peter Pan and I never want to grow up!  The hair is starting to go grey round the edges.....  and in the middle and on the sides and the skin is well, it's not where it should be. And what's up with this under eye bag BS???  Shall we have a wee complain about the middle region? Anyone got a puncture and need a spare tyre? Anyone?? I got one above the hips and below the boobs you can have! *sighs* How bout them thighs, and that booty? More dimples than a goofball! Gravity  has taken over!  I knowwww the struggles!!! Now what do we do about it? Well we have 2 choices. We can either accept ourselves the way we are and be happy or we can exercise, diet and do healthy things... And be happy. I hesitated because I'm lazy and the very thought of breaking a sweat makes me break into a sweat. However I hear exercising releases endorphins and creates a feel good feeling! I'll let you kno...