Skip to main content

Gardening Daily Diary 9.9.20

 

9 September 2020

Today isn't meant to be much of a day, weather wise, but to me it's perfect. Not too hot and not too cold - its just right. Look at me sounding like the 3 Little Bears! If it wasn't for the gale force Nor' Westers. I can barely stand up let alone my poor wee chickens hanging on for dear life! And the soil is getting blown into my eyes with each spade full that's turned over. Flag that!!! I have plenty of other jobs I can be doing instead of peeling my eyes out with windblown dirt! 

Such as planting some Blackcurrent cuttings...


This is cuttings I took in June. It is now 4 months later and the start of spring is upon us. The days are getting longer and the weather is getting warmer. Blossom is out on the plum trees and the apple and apricot trees are in bud and starting to bloom too. The new growth on these blackcurrents is pleasing and should be the start of a beautiful high yielding blackcurrent bush. I'll transfer them to big pots and make room for more.


I desperately needed a compost bin or two however looking at these I think I need another one! This was just from one raised garden and a small area where the compost bins are now sitting. Now that's shocking!!! I guess it is 5 years worth of weeds. I'm surprised there wasn't more.

We made this out of 5 pellets and some nails.  The pellets were free from my husbands work and the nails cost next to nothing. I just need to cut one pellet in half now for the front and it's finished. I'm stoked with how much its tidied up that area and better still its creating more soil that my gardens so desperately need.



Next on the cards was to turn over my little Courgette garden. This was when the wind hit hardest and with each flip of the shovel, dirt was spraying straight at me and straight into my eyes. So bugger that!!! Looking at it in this photo it looks bloody terrible actually... like a grave!!! Omg! I will so sort out a border of some sort tomorrow. I can't wait to get some plants in there and get them growing.



My poor grapefruit could do with a haircut. Everybody is surprised at how well it grows here being that I'm almost as far south as you can go.... in the world!!! They don't call us "down under" for nothing. But never-the-less here it is. One grapefruit tree growing off the edge of my deck. Pity I didn't like grapefruit!! Oh well, someone might.



And then you've got my lemon tree on the other side of this grapefruit and we've gone the opposite...


Ummm... excuse me? What is that?? Granted it has had a very terrible start to life. It's been broken more times than I care to remember and I think it may of been run over by the lawnmower at one stage? So I guess it's not going too bad considering it probably shouldn't even be here. Oh well. That's one thing I will invest in this year is some lemon and possibly lime plants. I'll get some decent sized buggers this time and get a good start on life. I have a spot down my hill that I'm considering on growing them on but I think it may be a little bit too windy. I shall do some research before I go willy nilly and plant them where ever.

And then the wind turned cold and the rain started to set in and it was time to go inside. Just as well I got a few photos of todays measly missions so I could spend the afternoon creating more pins for Pinterest and more content for my blogs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Jeans With Lace Inserts

  DIY Jeans with LACE INSERTS After sewing a pair of jeans that were too small for me with  denim square inserts  I decided to go through the pile of jeans I got for free to see if there was another pair I could tickle up with a bit of fancy decoration. And of course there was! My dear friend gave me a box full of bits n bobs and in amoungst it all were some net curtains with a pretty pattern and a scalloped edge. One side was embossed and the other side had a netting layer and was no where near as impressive.  This is how I made them without a measuring tape or any knowledge of what I'm even doing!!!  How to Make Lace Insert Jeans.... As Instructed From An Absolute Dummy! 1. Unpick the outside edges of the jeans. I unpicked the wrong side, had to sew it up and start again on the right side. 2. Cut net curtain to size. As I had no measuring tape I simply cut a full scallop size piece. From the 2 highest points of the blippy bit and straight up lol I'm so sorry I am the most wor

Harvesting Seeds

   Once you've had the best out of your vegetable, let it go to seed! A good idea once your plants have done their dash is to let them go to seed and harvest the seed when it's ready. Or you can just leave them be and let them self seed on their own and replant the new seedlings in their designated area. The start of spring has fallen upon us here in New Zealand and while there are no old plants in my garden for me to harvest any seeds or seedlings, I can still use the seeds I get in my fruit and veges from the supermarket.  How To Do's... PUMPKINS This was easy peasy to do. After scooping the seeds out of the center of the pumpkin I put them in a container and placed them on the windowsill to dry out for a few days. Once completely dry I rubbed the flakey layer off so they were nice and smooth and popped them in an envelope for later use. Germinating Pumpkin Seeds... Pre soak your pumpkin seeds in a cup of warm water for no less than 6 hours. Put your Easi Grow Pellets in

Edible Plants You Can Grow In Water

  Even if you have no land or no soil you can still grow plants to eat in a cup of water! I know right! Whaaaat??? You say. Yep, it really is as simply as put some water in a cup, jar or tray and grow your own veges. What's even better is that you can regrow them from your vegetable scraps! Ideally rain water is best or if you don't have access to that then water from the tap that has been left to sit overnight is ok to use. The chemicals in the chlorinated water are not very plant tissue friendly.  Another thing to be mindful of is that roots from the soil are different from the roots that grow in water so a transition from soil to water may not be possible. But hey, I' an open minded person and believe anything is possible. Sometimes even growing soil rooted plants in water! So far I've only had luck with vegetable scraps and cuttings. The roots also like to grow away from light so consider a coloured jar or bottle or you could wrap a piece of paper around it to darke